- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt ( I use seasoned salt for this)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup beer ( preferably dark beer)
- 1 egg white ( stiffly beaten)
- 2 lbs fish
- Sift flour with salt then put butter and egg; add beer gradually, put beaten egg white.
- Let stand for approximately 1 hour in a warm place.
- In a very deep fryer or baggy pot heat oil to 375 degrees.
- Dip fish in batter then fry in hot oil until golden brown (fry the fish in batches).
- Permit to drain on a baggy brown paper bag or on 2 pepper towels.
- It is best to use thinner pieces of fish if you intend to fry the whole piece or just cut into large crunks.